Aratikaya Vepudu : Raw Plantains (Aratikaya) are a low glycerin source of carbohydrate and full of nutrition.
Preparation Time: 15 Mins, Cook Time: 15 Mins, Total Time: 30 Mins
Recipe Type: Appetizer, Side Dish
Cuisine Type: Andhra, South Indian
Ingredients for Aratikaya Fry:
Aratikaya (Raw Bananas) : 3
Garlic : 4 Pods
Onion : 1 Big
Garlic Chilli Powder : 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
Urad Dal : 2 tsp
Chana Dal : 2 tsp
Curry Leaves : 3 Springs
Oil : 2 tsp
Coriander Leaves : 20 gms
- Make sure to apply oil to your hands before attempting to deal with plantain to clean your hands quickly as it gives you a dark layer
- Aratikaya (Raw Bananas) : Steam the raw bananas for 10 mins or pressure cook for 3 whistles. Cool them, peel the skin and cut it into small pieces.
- Onion : Chopped
- Garlic : Crushed
Aratikaya Vepudu Cooking Method:
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds and add chana dal and urad dal and fry for few Mins.
- Add curry leaves, chopped onions and crushed garlic and fry until the onions turn brown in color.
- Add raw banana pieces and fry for 10 Mins until they become slightly crispy. Now add Garlic chilli powder and mix nicely and fry for 3 Mins.
- As the garlic chilli powder already has salt in it and we don’t need to add extra salt.
- Check the taste and add salt if required. Add more garlic chili powder if you want it more spicy.
- Finally Add Coriander Leaves, Mix once and Banana Fry Dish is ready to eat.
- Serve it with hot steamed rice as a side dish with sambar rice and rasam rice.
Note: There are few versions of Aratikaya Vepudu/Fry and almost everyone does use onion, ginger & garlic paste while other spices.