Chicken Dum Biryani: It is originally made in the kitchens of Mughal Emperors. The word “biryani” is derived from Persian language.
Preparation Time : 1 hr, Cook Time: 1 hr, Total Time: 2 hrs
Recipe Type: Lunch & Dinner
Cuisine Type: Hyderbadi
Ingredients for Chicken Biryani:
Boneless Chicken : 1kg
Basmati rice : 1kg
Water : 5 cups
Salt : To taste
Marination Ingredients :
Curd : 1 cup
Ginger garlic paste : 2 tsp
Green Chillies : 4
White sesame seeds paste : 1 tsp
Cashew nuts –Almonds paste : 2 tsp
Lemon juice : 3 tsp
Red Chilli powder : 1 tsp
Tumeric powder : 1 tsp
Ground coriander : 1 tsp
Garam masala powder : 1 tsp
Cilantro : 2 tsp
Mint leaves : 1 tsp
Salt : To taste
Whole Garam Masala Ingredients :
Kashmiri red chillies : 2
Bay leaf : 2
Green cardamoms : 2
Mace : 1
Cloves : 2
Cinnamon stick : 2 inch
Star anise : 2
Cumin seeds : ¾ tsp
Other Ingredients :
Onion : 1
Yellow chilli powder : 1 tsp
Onion (small) : 1
Fennel powder : 2 tsp
Cardamom powder : 1 tsp
Saffron strands : Few
Cream : ½ cup
Milk : 5 tsp
Rose water : 2 tsp
Ghee : 2 tsp
Brown Onions : Garnish
Ginger julienne : 1 tsp
Cilantro : chopped
Mint : Finely thinly chop
Cinnamon stick : cut into small pieces
Onion : Cut into slices
Small onion : Chop
Chicken : Cut into small pieces.
How to Cook Dum Rice:
• First wash the rice properly in normal water and soak for 40 Mins and soak the saffron in milk and keep aside.
• Heat two cups of water in a big pan and add salt and rose water in it.
• When the water starts boiling then add rice into it and then cook the rice over medium high heat for about 10-15 Mins and simmer the flame.
• When the rice cook ¾, then take out half of the cooked rice from the pan and keep remaining rice aside.
Cook the Chicken:
• Take the medium size bowl and mix all the marinated ingredients and add chicken pieces too. Mix the chicken pieces well into the marinade mixture, cover with the lid for about 40-45 Mins.
• Heat a big non-stick pan and melt the ghee in it and add whole garam masala, sauté for few seconds.
• When the spices turns into little brown color then add onions. Cook the onions on a low flame, it should not change the color of the onions.
• Stir constantly if the heat is too high. Put little bit of water to get a nice and glossy color of onions.
• When onions are well cooked, add marinated chicken along with fennel and yellow chilli powder.
• Mix it well and add the salt and then add 1-1/2 cups of water and leave to cook for 6-10 Mins on medium heat.
• Once the chicken cooked, add cardamom powder along with fresh cream. Remove from the heat and allow cooling down.
• When the chicken cools down, take the chicken pieces out and strain the whole gravy over the pieces of chicken. Garnish with some chopped cilantro and keep aside
How to Cook Chicken Dum Biryani:
• Spread an even layer of the prepared chicken over the rice in the pan and spread some saffron mixture and garnish the biryani with some brown onions.
• Now make the layer of remaining rice and chicken, top with the saffron mixture, chopped cilantro and ginger julienne.
• Cook biryani on very low flame and make a flour dough, stick on the lid and cover the pot and dum without exploring out the steam.
• Let it cook on low flame on dum for about 6-8 Mins.
• Serve the chicken dum biryani piping hot with few round onion slices, lemon wedges and raita.
You can use any long grained rice, but “India Gate” basmati rice for the perfect biryani texture. Chicken dum biryani tastes better with chicken on bone. The important aspect of making a proper Chicken Dum Biryani is to cook it on dum with a proper cover or lid. The 16th century Mughal text Ain-i-Akbari makes no distinction between biryanis and pulao