Dum Aloo Recipe Easy method to prepare
Dum Aloo Recipe: It’s one of the most popular Kashmiri delicacy, it is also popular in Punjab where it is made with slight variation. A typical Kashmiri Dum Aloo recipe requires baby potatoes, Kashmiri red chilli (which is very hot and use in small quantity but it gives a nice colour) and thick yogurt. Dum Aloo (Steamed Aloo)is a nice spicy and flavoured curry can be with rice as well as with naan, kulcha or roti.
Traditionally potatoes in Dum Aloo were not boiled, potatoes were kept in chulha after making dinner under hot coals by morning potatoes would get softer due to slow heat of burned coals, this process would give potatoes good texture and nice flavor.
Here is the recipe of Kashmiri Dum Aloo
Potatoes- ½ kg (small, 20 to 22)
Salt as required
Kashmiri chilli powder-1/2 tsp
Fresh thick yogurt-1/2 cup
Coriander powder-1 tsp
Cumin powder-1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds powder-1tsp
Ginger powder- 1tsp
Caraway seeds -1tsp
Cardamom – few
Black cardamom – 3
Fresh Coriander – for garnishing
Groundnut oil for frying
Method for preparing Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- Take 3 to 4 cups of water and add 1 tsp and cook potatoes till they are par boiled.
- Peel them and pierce them with a fork.
- Next fry them till they are gold in colour.
- Take a thick bottomed pan mix red chilli powder in water and bring it to boil.
- Add yogurt to the mixture on a medium flame.
- Add all the other ingredients (masala) to the mixture and whole spices too.
- Lastly add potato and cook for some more time till you get a desired consistency of gravy.
- Garnish it with caraway seeds and fresh coriander.
- Remove the pan from the flame.
- Serve it with Naan, kulcha, or rice.
You make like to see the following recipes: