Gongura Chutney: It is a very rich source of Iron, Vitamins, Folic acid and anti-oxidants essential for human nutrition. They are used to prepare curries, pickles and dals.
These leaves taste sour can help in alleviating symptoms of cold, cough and fever too. It also increases appetite since it is high in vitamin C.
Preparation Time: 15 Mins, Cook Time: 15 Mins, Total Time: 30 Mins
Recipe Type: Appetizer, Main Dish
Cuisine Type: Andhra, South Indian
Ingredients for Gongura Pickle:
Gongura : 3 Bunches
Onions : 2 Small Size
Red Chillies : 18
Fenugreek Seeds : 1 tsp
Coriander Seeds : 1 tsp
Garlic : 8 Cloves
Black Gram : 1 ½ tsp
Curry Leaves : 3 Springs
Sugar : ½ tsp
Bengal Gram : 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves : 1 Bunch
Salt : To Taste
Oil : 3 tsp
For Seasoning :
Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds : 1 tsp
Whole Dried Chillies : 3
Garlic : 3 Cloves (Crushed)
Oil : 5 tsp
Gongura : Pick the leaves from the stalks and wash and drain the water & keep aside
Coriander Leaves : Chopped
Onions : Chop Nicely
Gongura Chutney Cooking Method:
- Take a pan, heat 1 tsp oil and add Gongura leaves and saute till they are wilted. Remove from heat and let it cool for 5 Mins.
- Again heat 1 tsp of oil in same pan and roast the fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, red chillies, Bengal gram, black gram and garlic together till they get brown in color. Switch off heat and allow it to cool for 10 Mins
- Grind Gongura leaves along with the gram mixture, sugar and salt to a coarse paste. Transfer in to a bowl.
- Now, heat the oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When they start to splutter add curry leaves, crushed garlic and red chillies. When they turn slightly brown in color, remove from heat and keep aside.
- Once cool, pour this into the gongura paste and mix well. Finally, garnish with the Coriander Leaves and mix it again.
- Finally, Add chopped onions and mix it well
- Serve hot with the plan rice and ghee on the side.
Note: The pickle lasts for 3 weeks under refrigeration. It is highly recommended for sugar and heart patients to maintain their diet.