Ulava Charu Recipe: It is a staple lentil of many South Indian farmer families. It is a small, flat, oval bean with a dark rusty tan color with an assertive earthy flavor. It is a local delicacy served in all lavish parties .
Preparation Time : 15 Mins, Cook Time : 40 Mins, Total Time : 55 Mins
Recipe Type : Liquid, Appetizer
Cuisine Type : Andhra, South Indian
Servings : 5
Ingredients for Rasam :
Horse Gram : 300gm
Red Chillies : 2
Onions : 2
Green Chillies : 2
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
Ginger : 1 Inch
Pepper : 1 ½ tsp
Garlic : 3 Pods
Water : As Per The Quantity
Coriander Seeds : 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
Curry Leaves : 1 Spring
Tamarind Extract: 1 Cup (Diluted)
Coriander Leaves : 1 Spring
Salt : To taste
Oil : 4 tsp
Horse Gram : Soak over night and pressure cook till soft. Drain the water and keep it aside
Horse Gram : Smash & half of the cooked
Onions : Chop
Dry Roast : Pepper, Cumin Seeds, Coriander Seeds, Red Chillies and grind to fine paste.
Ginger & Garlic : Smash
Ulava Charu Recipe Cooking Method :
• In a pan heat oil and put mustard seeds and also put curry leaves, Onions, smashed Ginger and Garlic, Green chili.
• Add smashed horse gram and mix well and pour tamarind Extract and add salt.
• Add sufficient water and make the gravy is not too thick and then put remaining horse gram.
• Sprinkle finely chopped coriander leaves and pepper over the gravy and cook for few seconds and remove from the flame.
• Horse Gram Soup is ready to serve with Chapatti and steamed rice.
Note : Don’t add chili powder. Ulava Charu is a fine delicacy from the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. It is a traditional Andhra Rasam and the thickness of horse gram lentil soup and is generally served with fresh cream or butter and rice.